Criteria have been modified for establishing ISEE [Equivalent Economic Situation Indicator]

Criteria have been modified for establishing ISEE [Equivalent Economic Situation Indicator]


As of 1 January 2015 new regulations have become effective concerning the new ISEE, the Equivalent Economic Situation Indicator, the tool which "photographs" the economic/patrimonial situation of who wants to benefit from concessional social services.

The new regulation was provided for by Ministerial Decree dated 7 November 2014 and by INPS [National Social Security Institute] that provided the first operational indications with Circular n.171 of 19 December 2014

ISEE is calculated by taking into consideration the applicant’s family unit, keeping into account the incomes and patrimony of the single components, as well as – in deduction – any expenses (family unit cheques, expenses for disabled persons, rents, expenses for aid to disabled persons, residual debt of mortgages, etc.). Moreover, flat deductions (allowances) have been provided for related to the presence in the family unit of disabled persons, dependent children, owned real estate used as main place of residence, etc. On the basis of the value assessed for the entire family unit, the value assigned to the single component is calculated, using predefined coefficients which increase as the number of family unit components increases.

The new regulation has not made any changes in the method for calculating ISEE, nor the actual concept of ISEE, but rather it has introduced several diversified calculation modalities depending on its use. In fact, in addition to the standard ISEE (or ordinary), now there is University ISEEsocial-health ISEE, social-health ISEE for residences, and minors’ ISEE.

 In order to obtain the ISEE certification, it is necessary to submit the new DSU form [Single Substitutive Statement], a sort of self-certification on which INPS, before issuing the certificate requested, carries out crossed investigations integrating data from its own archives and from those of the Agenzia delle entrate [Revenues Agency]. The DSU form is available on INPS’s website in its area dedicated to Forms  [Sezione Modulistica].



What is ISEE?


ISEE is an indicator, in force since 1998, that assesses and compares the economic situation of family units so as to regulate access to social services (for example, school refectory, enrolment in playschools, etc.) and social-health services provided by bodies on the basis of specific competences. Generally speaking, ISEE is used in order to implement differentiated tariffs depending on the applicant’s economic conditions or to set thresholds beyond which access to the service is not allowed.


What is it for?


ISEE is an essential document for accessing concessional social services or for obtaining co-participation in costs. This means that the supplying bodies use ISEE as an indicator of the applicant’s economic situation, and citizens are guaranteed that their economic situation is assessed according to fair criteria, defined in the same way throughout the whole national territory.

The main novelties of the new DSU form concern:

- the "MINI form,” a simplified statement that concerns most of the ordinary situations;

- a statement by “forms,” specific for a given service or for a particular condition of the benefitting party. Falling within this kind of statement, for example, there is the request for social-health services for persons with disabilities that may refer to a restricted family unit. Or, university services for students that are not part of the family unit of origin;

 the current ISEE, for citizens that lose their job or undergo a 25% decrease in income. It is a particular formula that enables to update one’s ISEE in any moment of the year, without having to wait to submit fiscal statement;

- simplification of procedures: information such as total income or other data already registered by INPS or Agenzia delle entrate are recovered directly from their archives. Hence, it is no longer necessary for citizens to provide the mentioned data when submitting application.


How can it be obtained?


In order to simplify the procedure, various typologies of DSUs have been created depending on services. There is a standard form for most of the services, another one (of a different colour, to enable also greater visual clarity) for university students, a document ad hoc for social-health residences and another one for income variations. 

As mentioned, ISEE is elaborated on the basis of the data collected through the DSU statement, a sort of self-certification that the tax-payer has to fill in and submit to one of the following structures:

- the Municipality;

- a fiscal assistance centre (the Caf, which also offers consultancy for filling it in);

- directly to the public administration where the service is being requested;

- INPS, exclusively via computer through the self-service computer positions present at the premises of INPS or connecting to the specially dedicated website,  being provided with PIN, which guides through the filing in procedure.


When submitting the statement, the applicant is issued a receipt. Then, the declared data are processed and “crosschecked” with those already present in the archives of INPS and Agenzia delle entrate.


ISEE is then made available at INPS’s territorial offices and sent by certified mail (Pec), if communicated by the applicant, or on INPS’s website. It can also be found, even via computer, at the office where the DSU was handed in, upon the applicant’s authorization and consent.


Should there be particular urgency due to the expiry of the term for accessing a concessional social service, it is possible to obtain the ISEE certification by showing the receipt certifying the submission of the DSU. Once the ISEE has been obtained, it can then be submitted to the requesting body; the body can also acquire it through INPS’s informative system.


The ISEE certificate is given directly to the applicant/declarant. However, other family unit components can require it at INPS by accessing the services area of the web portal or at the territorial offices, and use it to apply for concessional social services, as well as concessions for accessing public utility services.


For further information

(February 11, 2015)